NIH Reasonable Accommodation Program
Event Date:Thursday, October 18, 2018 - 1:00pm to 4:00pm
Event Location:Natcher Bldg. 45; Conference Center; Balcony Level
- Kathleen Tepas, Legislative Coordinator, NIAAA
- Stephon Scott - Branch Chief, Access & Equity, EDI, NIH
- Keri Gray - Director of NextGen Initiatives
Event Host(s):Office of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
EDI will bring awareness to the Reasonable Accommodation (RA) program NIH-wide through several activities to include:
- A panel discussion on Reasonable Accommodation
- An interactive Reasonable Accommodations equipment and technology showcase
- Section 508 training presented by the United States Access Board
- Reasonable Accommodation training opportunities for employees and managers. Please note, each of these training sessions have a maximum number of seats, so be sure to register for each training session.
Accessibility Technology Showcase
We will also showcase over 15+ accessibility venders from the area on different accessibility products and programs. The will be providing demos and product information for everyone who visits the booths. The goal of the show case is to give employees the opportunity to visit these venders to explore possible reasonable accommodation tools that they can use.
- 1:00 - 4:00 PM
Will have a Q&A discussion with a team of expert panelists within the disability community as well as experts around the reasonable accommodation program. The discussions will take a deeper dive into why accommodations are important for people with disabilities to do their jobs. They will also be discussing the common struggles people with disabilities within the work place face and how the reasonable accommodation program will strive to remove those barriers
- 1:00pm to 1:10pm - Welcoming remarks by Danny Dickerson, Diversity & Inclusion, Director
- 1:10pm to 1:15pm - Introduction of Panelists
- 1:15pm to 2:00pm - Panelist remarks with Q&A
Reasonable Accommodation & Section 508 Training Sessions
- 2:15pm to 3:15pm - Breakout session #1 - Training on RA Overview
- 2:15pm to 3:15pm - Breakout session #2 - Training on Section 508 (Access Board)
Intro to Reasonable Accommodation
Reasonable accommodation (RA) is defined as any change or adjustment in the work environment that enables a qualified individual with a disability to enjoy equal employment opportunity. This course will provide an introductory training of our Reasonable Accommodation program at NIH.
NIH Introductory Reasonable Accommodation training program is a 1-hour instructor lead training with the goal of introducing the NIH community to our Reasonable Accommodation program. This training will provide awareness of the Laws covered under RA and the Definitions of Reasonable Accommodation and Disability.
Section 508 Training w/US Access Board
Section 508 regulations are an amendment to the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. In 2000, the U.S. Access Board published technical and functional performance criteria to implement Section 508. Participants will gain an understanding of the legal requirements that mandate that all Federal agencies make their Information and Communication Technology (ICT) accessible to people with disabilities.
Facilitated by representatives from the U.S. Access Board, this training program is a 1-hour, instructor lead session that will provide an overview of the key aspects of ICT accessibility and its intersection with reasonable accommodation.
NOTE: Due to limited space, employees/managers will need to register for each breakout session
Do you have a story idea for us? Do you want to submit a guest blog? If it's about equity, diversity, or inclusion, please submit to email@example.com.